Saturday 14 November 2009

Film News (14/11/09)

When I last caught up with the news two weeks ago, I was utterly humbled by the sheer scale of the data available. In the end I had to make difficult decisons about what to run with - effectively excluding all casting news on the basis we already had the basics of the story. In a complete reversal over the last fortnight there have been just 3 stories that I have any interest in, and two of those are updates for previous headliners.

The Reincarnation of Peter Proud



It's unbelievable that I'm leading with a remake of a seventies B-movie thriller, after all the original had little to commend it and generally this sort of project would gravtate to the dregs of the studio system. Only something about the concept is interesting enough to reunite David Fincher with his Seven writer, Andrew Kevin Walker, for a new adaptation of the Max Ehlrich novel. In the novel Proud is trying to prove not only that he is reincarnated but also to solve the mystery of who killed his previous form so that justice can be done.



Black Swan

The cast of Darren Aronofsky's forthcoming ballerina in peril movie has just begun to get really exciting. Joining the previously announced Natalie Portman will be Barbara Hershey, Winona Ryder and the adorable Vincent Cassel. Now if that doesn't give you thre really good reasons to see the film then I don't know what you want.

The Descendents

I think it's safe to say I'm a big fan of George Clooney, his last 2 films have both reached the dizzy height of the Runs Like a Gay film of the week - no mean feat I can assure you. So when I hear he had been cast as the lead in Alexander Payne's next film about a soon to be widower tracking down his wife's lover as she lies in a come then I knew I'd be even more on board.

Here's a pic of gorgeous George to celebrate:



No comments: