Wednesday 21 January 2009

20 for 2009 - Shutter Island

Or, Now Marty's got an Oscar is he going to let rip or will this be his way of getting one for Leo?



How can I be so cynical. This is my number one choice for 2009. Against the anticipation for Shutter Island all other films look pasty and irrelevant.

There is little I can actually say to really defend why I'm interested in this film. The novel is hokey with the ending telegraphed so clearly my dogs guessed what was happening. It also doesn't have the depth of story that Scorcese is used to dealing with. But maybe that's why I'll be there. It's simplicity will mean that Martin will need to make a great film to get away with it.

Seriously if you need me to tell you why I'm excited then you probably never will be anticipating this one.

2 comments:

ChillwithWill said...

What I'm most excited about is the fact that it's based on a Dennis Lehane novel. I thought 'Mystic River' and 'Gone Baby Gone' both contained riveting characters and incredible dramatic tension.

Also hoping Michelle Williams turns in another stellar performance. She seems to get better with each new grown up role she takes on.

Runs Like A Gay said...

Unfortunately the novel isn't as rich as either 'Mystic River' or 'Gone Baby Gone', nor does it have their moral complexities.

I like Lehane as much as the next man, and I look forward to a cinematic version of his play 'Coronado', but honestly the plot of 'Shutter Island' is recycled from the sayings of Confucius.

That sounds like I'm not really keen, but I honestly think this film will be great in spite of Lehane, not because of him.

I know what you mean about Michelle Williams, simply superb. Have you seen 'Incendiary' yet? The film's a bit uneven but Michelle is incredible as the grieving mother.