Wednesday 7 January 2009

20 for 2009 - Where the Wild Things Are



After a couple of days of "oh, really" here's a film I'm sure every geek in the world is excited about. Where the Wild things are is based on Maurice Sendak's classic chrildrens novel about a the wild things sprouting from a boys imagination.

Quick confession: I've never actually read the book. I'm not too old for it to have been in bookshelves when I was a boy but maybe I'm just too British with my hungry caterpillar. Anyway I have certainly seen it around and I know many of my neices and nephews are fans.

Not that I might be taking them to this - the rumours of children bursting into tears during test screenings and 60mph winds closing filming - I'm certainly going to check it out.

I think the reason I'm so stoked about this one is the potential for darkness and subversion in what boils down to a children's fable. Let's face it the film unites the incendiary directorial talent of Spike Jonze, Dave Eggars (once described as Generation X's J.D. Salinger) co-scripting and Jonze's regular production designer K.K.Barrett.

For the sheer weidness of this combination it has to be seen.

No comments: