Sunday 18 January 2009

20 for 2009 - The Soloist


The Soloist is another film on this list which I freely admit I could be mistaken in. The delay in release was concerning, especially for a film that had already issued a trailer. Not to mention it was a somewhat pedstrian trailer.

I still want to see this film though. The true story is pure academy fodder: gifted musician goes a bit crazy and ends up homeless. Sounds like Shine to me. Only with a cello, like Hillary and Jackie. Pulls it back to play at prestigious venue at the end (um, Music of the Heart). OK I'm stretching but the true mental illness hook works every time.

I also happen to believe the talent involved are on a role. Joe Wright is following up the superb Atonement with his first "American" film and Robert Downey Jnr. will likely get an Academy Award nomination on Thursday for blacking up in a Ben Stiller movie. Catherine Keener is supporting and lets face it this is probably the role Jamie Foxx was born to play.



I am also sure I am not alone in wanting to see this. Six months ago this film was the epitome of Oscar buzz. People were convinced of potential Film, Actor and Supporting actor nominations. I can understand that buzz dying because of the delays but surely these people still want to see the film.

Am I right?

Besides I started to learn to play the cello once so now i'm a sucker for cello related movies and I don't get that many opportunties to feed my addiction.

No comments: