Thursday 31 December 2009

2009 in Review - Best Film

As we reach the end of my salute to the achievements of 2009 here are my top films. I have been lucky, of the 42 times I went to the cinema I only consider 6 outright failures, and none of the films were so dreadful they had nothing to recommend them. That doesn't make the compilation of a top ten list any easier, in fact the overall quality has meant that many films which were very good ended up being left out. All but the top 3 could easily have been displaced by the dozen other contenders.

I won't be giving any commentary to list, not even a brief sentence, but please note that I have chosen these films because they moved me, gave me pure unadulterated pleasure or just led to more conversation than any of the other films I saw (number 10 for instance has led to 4 different viewings with deep discussions about the outcome).

1. Where the Wild Things Are

2009. Dir: Spike Jonze. Starring: Max Records, Catherine Keener, James Gandolfini, Catherine O'Hara and Lauren Ambrose. My Review


2. Maria Larsson's Everlasting Moments

2008. Dir: Jan Troell. Starring: Maria Heiskanen, Mikhail Persbrandt, Jesper Christensen, Emil Jensen and Ghita Nørby. My Review


3. Che Part 2

2008. Dir: Steven Soderbergh. Starring Benicio Del Toro, Franka Potenta, Joaquim de Almeida, Demián Bichir and Lou Diamond Phillips. My Review








4. A Serious Man

2009. Dir: Ethan and Joel Coen. Starring: Michael Stuhlbarg, Richard Kind, Fred Melamed, Sari Lennick and Aaron Wolff. My Review

5. Away We Go

2009. Dir: Sam Mendes. Starring: John Krasinski, Maya Rudolph, Carmen Ejogo, Catherine O'Hara and Jeff Daniels. My Review








6. Milk

2008. Dir: Gus van Sant. Starring: Sean Penn, Emile Hirsch, Josh Brolin, Diego Luna and James Franco. Not Reviewed.

7. Antichrist

2009. Dir: Lars von Trier. Starring: Willem Dafoe and Charlotte Gainsbourg. My Review








8. Avatar

2009. Dir: James Cameron. Starring: Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, Stephen Lang, Sigourney Weaver and Michelle Rodriguez. My Review

9. Drag me to Hell

2009. Dir: Sam Raimi. Starring: Alison Lohman, Justin Long, Lorna Raver, Dileep Rao and David Paymer. My Review









10. Doubt

2008. Dir: John Patrick Shanley. Starring: Meryl Streep, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Amy Adams, Viola Davis and Joseph Foster. My Review

3 comments:

TomS said...

I can't wait for Troell's film "Everlasting Moments" to reach screens here. I was a big admirer of his "The Emigrants/The New Land" (1972-73) with Liv Ullmann and Max Von Sydow. Incredibly, "The Emigrants" received an Oscar nomination as Best Piture, competing against "Cabaret" and "The Godfather".
You cited a few of my very favorite films here, especially "Milk" and "Doubt".
But "Drag Me To Hell?" "Antichrist"?--Really?
I'm on the fence about "Avatar". I'm sure I'm predisposed to find it's not my kind of film....should I go anyway?

Runs Like A Gay said...

In terms of the development of cinema as a form of entertainment you must see Avatar.

Whether you like the film or not it is a milestone, although probably not the start of a new chapter.

Happy New Year.

Ben x

Alex Constantin said...

your number one is special. :) not really on my taste, but very special. Congrats! :)

too bad Doubt isn't higher on your list. I think it made my top 5 for 2008.

Happy New Year!