Monday 14 December 2009

Bright Star

2009. Dir: Jane Campion. Starring: Ben Whishaw, Abbie Cornish, Kerry Fox, Paul Schneider and Edie Martin. ●●●●○



Once again I've fallen behind on the reviews, during the second half of the tour I managed to get to the cinema 6 times, and there are a further 3 films I expect to see before the end of the month, so I'd better get cracking on the backlog. Hopefully I'll be able to squeeze out one review per day until I've caught up.

The first film I saw, back in the heady days of early November, was Jane Campion's gorgoeus Bright Star. I don't use that adjective lightly, the production deasign is heady and memorably beautiful, every shot perfectly lit and placed by Greig Fraser (a rising cinematographer to watch out for in the future), every prop and costume seamlessly interwoven to the emotional core of the story.

Or at least what little story the film has - in effect it follows the doomed romance of John Keats (a wistful Whishaw) and his neighbour Fanny Brawne (Cornish - headstrong and loving). It is doomed as Keats himself is doomed (if you consider this to be a spoiler then you have no right to watch films about English poets), and the fleeting moments they will spend together will create the intense emotional highs that inspire Keats' richest works and serve as a prison for Fanny as she mourns for her true love.



The lack of story is perhaps troubling. Yes, they meet, argue before falling for each other in an unforced romcom kind of way, overcome early objections (Paul Schneider's sniffy colleague) but fail to overcome either societies requirements for financial security as a necessary part of the marriage contract or the cloying onslaught of TB. All this happens incredibly prettily and quite slowly, leaving you with the overall impression of being gently put to sleep by a vet. If this is love and death, then bring it on.

Honestly I thought the film was beautiful, the performances magnificent, Janet Patterson's costume design exquisite, but the glacial pace turned me off and has caused the film to drop a star.

Finally I must mention the use of music was also very apt, and at times funny.

No comments: