Friday 25 December 2009

Out This Week (25/12/09)

Need less to say I am not writing this post on Christmas Day, neither are these films actually coming out today. Some were released yesterday, and others tomorrow, but I thought it best to just go with the pattern. This weekend is a little special - it's the last Friday of the year, so these 6 films represent the last gasps of 2009. There have been a total of 426 releases during the year, I personally have seen about 10% of these, with probably a further 20% that I would have seen if I had a lot more time and money. Over the next few days I'll be running through my top ten and selecting the best performances, I hope you can join me for those posts. In the meantime please note that the film of the week is Sherlock Holmes.



Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel

I'll admit it, even if I'm the only one, but I found the title quite funny, and the Chipmunks joining in the the 20th Century Fox fanfare in the trailer did make me chuckle. These may be the best bits of the film, though.

Runs like a Gay Excitometer: ●●○○○○○○○○



Dogging: A Love Story

Right. Sit down. I have something to explain. Dogging is a sexual act done in a public place (ususally in a car or a wood) for the benefit of onlookers who are strangers. The term is high profile in the UK as a number of celebrities (including professional footballers) have been caught by the tabloids. In the States the title will be changed to Public Sex to avoid confusion. Looks dreadful.

Runs like a Gay Excitometer: ●●○○○○○○○○

Happy Ever Afters

Oirish comedy about two wedding taking place in the same hotel, and how the guests mix them up and generally cause a ruckus. Sally Hawkins (Happy-Go-Lucky) is one of the brides.

Runs like a Gay Excitometer: ●●●○○○○○○○

My Father My Lord

David Volach's debut feature is a thoughtful and temperate look at life within an Orthodox Jewish family in Isreal. It comes with some critical acclaim, having been judged the best film at the 2007 Tribeca Film Festival, however it's release is incredibly limited so rush to see it if you can.

Runs like a Gay Excitometer: ●●●○○○○○○○

Nowhere Boy

Rather than looking at the formation of the Beatles in a true sense, this John Lennon biopic tries to understand the man by focusing on his relationship with his mother and the aunt who brought him up following her abandonment.

Runs like a Gay Excitometer: ●●●●○○○○○○

Sherlock Holmes

Guy Ritchie mockneyfies Arthur Conan Doyle's famous detective, adding bare-knuckle fighting to his illustrious talents. The chemistry between Downey Jnr and Law (as Dr. Watson) is palpable in the trailer and if there's a fair cash in the tills to be had hopefully this will lead to a sequel or two.

Runs like a Gay Excitometer: ●●●●●○○○○○

3 Idiots

Hindi film - could be about anything - probably in some way based around idiots failing to achieve the standad of sducation they need. Poster is quite good and the website is surprisingly addictive.

Runs like a Gay Excitometer: ●●●●●○○○○○

2 comments:

TomS said...

I used to see a higher percentage of the annual releases, and found, in time, that I was best to be selective.

Hope for your sake, Ben, that "Sherlock Holmes" is not a letdown...American critics have been none too kind...

Runs Like A Gay said...

You're probably right. Need to make sure I'm not throwing good money after bad.

Still: about 10 years ago I was averaging 55 films per year, this year it was 42 so a few more won't hurt. (Especially when you consider I didn't see Synecdoche New York, The Hurt Locker, Julie and Julia, The Private Lives of Pippa Lee or Moon)