Sunday 27 December 2009

2009 in Review - Best Supporting Actress

Like most self-obsessed actors I dream of one day being accepted by the industry as one of their own, and eventually being invited to join the Academy. (I know, I know, but I can dream). Part of that dream would mean having my own ballot, my opportunity to give my opinion of the best performances and best films of the year.

Well, until AMPAS notice me I guess the only place I can say what I think is right here. So, starting today (and for the next 5 days) I'll give you my votes. Of course they won't follow the Academy rules - I'm using the films I've seen and not just the ones eligible for this years which means 15 of the actual nominees from last year have the opportnity to appear on my ballot.

Like the voters I don't have to explain myself, however I will give a sentence or two to explain my choice. Feel free to argue in the comments.

1. Marion Cotillard - Nine. Marion has proved in both her films this year that she is a singular talent. She really gets to show off her range both vocally and performance wise in Nine, and the way she responds to the audition tapes is jaw-droppingly real.



2. Penelope Cruz - Vicky Cristina Barcelona. Last years Oscar winner comes a very close second for me. Technically the third (or maybe even the fourth) billed actress she is a force everyone talks about and responds to, so much so that the film wilts without her.



3. Melanie Lynskey - Away We Go. Like most of the characters in Sam Mendes' latest film Lynskey only gets a short time to make an impact, but in her scenes as she gradually gets drunker we see the happy facade seep away to reveal the emptiness inside. Witness the pole dance and tell me you don't know everything about how she feels.



4. Marisa Tomei - The Wrestler. Continuing the theme of pole dancing, Tomei hits her usual high marks as a stripper confronting her own limits. Rourke may have taken most of the applause, but without Tomei backing him up we wouldn't have cared for his character.



5. Blanca Portillo - Broken Embraces. The character drifts between guarded sarcasm and over-zealous confessionals which in lesser hands could have been seen as terribly inconsistent. However Portillo shows the tension inside of her in every scene.

3 comments:

TomS said...

It will be hard to overlook Mo'Nique in "Precious".

Alex Constantin said...

so I guess u haven't seen Precious?? :)


sorry i haven't written in a while. Work is boooring and I have just a couple of weeks left until I go back home. [the best thing in Athens continues to be the very warm weather]. and oh yeah, living alone and my financial independence. which will end soon :D


seen some new movies these days: 500 days of summer, an education, the hurt locker, half of Invictus :P, and before that Broken Embraces (no!), the blind side, Where the Wild Things Are (I didn't go wild for it)...

I'm sure I'll love Marion in Nine. But Mo'Nique is... she will be of the best winners this category's ever had.

Runs Like A Gay said...

Presious is a 2010 release in the UK, so will figure in next years selection. (If I'm impressed... ha ha)