Friday 9 April 2010

Out This Week (09/04/10)

It's quite a quiet weekend, although frankly that's a good thing - I've been so busy that I've hardly had a time to stop and think; let alone got a chance to go to the cinema this weekend. I'll be letting you know all about it on Sunday with the personal news post (and what a post it will be). Still if I was going to the cinema this weekend I'd definitely be up for Drew Barrymore's directorial debut with Whip It.



I Am Love

Tilda Swinton gets a rare chance to lead a major film, albeit clearly European arthouse in it's feel. She plays a Russian immigrant in Italy married into a loveless and wealthy family who has an affair. Doubt it ends well.

Runs like a Gay Excitometer: ●●●●●○○○○○



I Know You Know

I had spoken about this film back in November, when it was originally scheduled for release, but here's a chance to ignore it again. Robert Carlyle is a distant father who's son slowly works out he's a MI5 agent. Based on a true story.

Runs like a Gay Excitometer: ●●●○○○○○○○

The Infidel

Gifted alternative comic David Baddiel's first movie script focuses on an Muslim father who shockingly finds out not only that he was adopted but that he was born Jewish. The trailer is very funny, but I worry that the hook is enough to sustain an hour and a half.

Runs like a Gay Excitometer: ●●●○○○○○○○

Prince

At one point this Bollywood actioner was subtitled It's Showtime, but I very much doubt that helps explains the sci-fi tinged heist movie that the trailer indicates - nor does it explain why one of the girls on the poster doesn't just look like she's been photoshopped in, but that a cardboard cut-out of her has been photo-shopped in.

Runs like a Gay Excitometer: ●●○○○○○○○○

Shelter

Did anyone notice Julianne Moore and Jonathan Rhys-Meyers making this? All of Rhys-Meyers' multiple personalities are murder victims and Moore must find out why before the credits role. Like a knock-off of Identity, then.

Runs like a Gay Excitometer: ●●●●○○○○○○

Whip It

If you like Roller derbys then you'll love this seventies throwback, with Ellen Page rebelling her middle class by joining the local team under the moniker Babe Ruthless. The great supporting cast includes director Drew Barrymore, Marcia Gay Harden and Juliette Lewis.

Runs like a Gay Excitometer: ●●●●●●●○○○

And last week I missed:

Jawani Zindabaad

But I can't write anything about it at all as there are no reviews, trailers or plot descriptions that I can find...

Runs like a Gay Excitometer: ●●○○○○○○○○

No comments: