Wednesday 28 April 2010

Penélope Cruz


Happy Birthday to

Penélope Cruz

36 today


As an actress Cruz has her limits (basically anything where she isn't Spanish) however when she's godd she's fantastic. And whether scene stealing with wild abandon in Vicky Cristina Barcelona or owning the screen in her collaborations with Pedro Almodovar or even when struggling to convince in high concept American fare like Vanilla Sky she's always immensely watchable. Next up (apart from a minor role in Sex and the City 2) is as Blackbeard's (Ian McShane) daughter in Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. It'll probably be rubbish but I can't wait to see it.

Of course I couldn't let hr birthday go by without celebrating her most recent Oscar nod. Here she is making a Call from the Vatican.

2 comments:

TomS said...

Nice post Ben, and a really fitting tribute to Cruz. I do appreciate your including her number from "Nine", a fiim I seemed to be alone in championing.
You have had some great posts here of late....and although I don't always comment, I am always here reading.
Nice job!

Runs Like A Gay said...

"Nine" remains a difficult film to like, as a musical I'm not sure it works terribly well (it's neither populist like Lloyd Webber or as clever as Sondheim) but this could well be as good a film version as you could have asked for it.

Thanks for reading - I do appreciate your comments when they come.