Sunday 18 July 2010

Networking, or something more? (Film News - 17/07/10)

What with the usually running routine, the temping job and doing a play (did I mention "Baby Jesus Freak" is on this week?) I've not had the chance to look at much news this week - not to mention less chance to actually write this piece hence the delay, so please forgive me if something has really jumped out at you that I've missed - and feel free to add it in the comments.

Paper Wings

Back on Wednesday an article appeared in the UK's free commuter paper about a big, star-studded Scientology meeting that took place in a quiet restaurant in LA. Among the patrons were both high-profile and long rumoured practicitioners of the beliefs including Tom Cruise, Will Smith, Anna Kendrick and Eric Dane. Like a fool I bought into the idea that it was just a get-together for like minded individuals to discuss their shared beliefs. Of course that wasn't true (obviously really because when have Scientologists been known to be so open about their activities) and later I read that it was a read though of one of Cruise's potential projects: Paper Wings a drama set in the world of rodeos.

Now I remain to be convinced that a bucking bronco based plot is worthwhile it must be admitted that's a perfect cast on paper (sorry). What I think most worries me that I (and the Metro) were pefectly willing to accept this meeting had more divisive aims. I confess my personal prejudices against Scientology (which I should treat with no lesser or greater validity than any other belief system) allowed me think the worst both before I knew it was film related, and to a certain extent after when I started to assume the castings were predicated by a shared religious background. I suspect I'm not alone in this but that prjudice is wrong and should be fought against.

After all, if there is a bias it is hardly a first and hardly necessarily detrimental to the project. There have been plenty of examples throughout the history of Hollywood where producers/directors/actors have found a common bond which brought them together be it spiritual, political or just that they became good friends. Ultimately I hope the film is casting the best talent for the right reasons, but if a project does involve friends getting together then that's good too and I wish them the very best on the film.

Smith and Cruise come out of the four hour meeting certainly looking positive.

Read on for Hollwoods most famous mothers, the concept of hell and a biopic that's been in the works for 11 years.


Furious Love: Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton, and the Marriage of the Century

With the recent publication of this title focussed on the tumultuous relationship between Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton (left generating chemistry for the first time in Cleopatra) and the renewed interest in the couple's domination of the press and of Hollywood at the time it's little wonder that rumours of a film adapatation have begun to circulate. Some interesting names are being bandied about as potential castings (some of which you can imagine better that others). Options for Liz include Catherine Zeta-Jones and Anjelina Jolie with Russell Crowe, Clive Owen and Colin Farrell all in the frame for Burton. I'm not sure which of these I'd like to see, if that is I'd like to see any of these options, but I know I will definitely be up for a Dick/Liz film.

Heretics

The Christian film market is sizeable but it seems at odds with mainstream Hollywood. This weekend for instance Rocky Mountain pictures (erm, who?) have released Standing Ovation in the US on 623 screens. It will probably do OK, but not great business and notably more in the red states, but it remains a big enough demographic to wonder why the mainstream hasn't embraced evangelical Christianity. This might change with this potentially controversial but still insider story about the rising TV preacher Carlton Pearson who questioned whether the concept of hell was right or appropriate and found himself drummed out of his Church. I believe this will lead to interesting theological questions and hopefully will allow all sides of the arguement time to speak. Mark me as very interested in this.

Janis Joplin: Get it while you can

It's good to know the Joplin biopic that sprag fully formed on IMDb a few weeks ago wasn't part of my imaginaion. This week we've heard tha's it's definitely on and that Amy Adams has been cast in the title role. If you're as interested in the genesis of the film production of Janis's life as much as Janis herself then this article in Movieline reminds us of the various possible casting options that have drifted through in the last 12 years.

Here's Janis telling us about things we don't know:



2 comments:

TomS said...

My opinion: Amy Adams as Janis Joplin is a sad bit of novelty mis-casting--like casting Justin Bieber to play Jimi Hendrix. I read the Movieline piece, and I would have accepted Melissa Etheridge...she has a similar vocal quality. 10-15 years ago, I would have urged Jodie Foster to play Joplin...she has the right intensity, and even a similar look. "The Accused" convinced me.

Runs Like A Gay said...

Foster would've been brilliant - I love that idea. Shame we're too late for her.

I'm not sure about Amy, I'm yet to be convinced she has any realistic range as an actress. To that effect Joplin will be a huge reach for her and I hope for the sake of the movie she can do it.