Friday 27 June 2008

Coming Soon (maybe)

Another round up of what's been tickling me over the last couple of days.

The Ghost

Pierce Brosnan has let slip to MTV that he's prepping for a new thriller from Roman Polanski, concerning dark secrets from a former UK Prime Minister (Brosnan) being uncovered by his ghost writer (Nic Cage - yes really). It sounds like a good mix to me - Polanski is always good at building tension and Cage's wig has an almost legitimate reason to be wild.


39 Clues

I don't really get this. Apparantly 39 Clues is some interactive, multi-media Kids thing with prizes and stuff. 10 books, and potentially 3 films are planned. Anyway Steven Spielberg has just brought the rights. I hope he doesn't direct as I'm still a fan of the 'berg and I'd rather see Tintin, Lincoln or the Chicago Seven than what to me sounds like gibberish. I mean how could I keep my head up high wandering into Smiths and buying a pack of trading cards?

Righteous Kill

Robert De Niro and Al Pacino are back. In a film from Jon Avnet, acclaimed director of Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe.

This is old news, I know, but it's new poster so I thought I'd show that.


To be honest I think I'd be more keen on this project if the film was going to be closer to Fried Green Tomatoes in tone and content.

Imagine, if you will, Chris O'Donnell and Leonardo Dicaprio visiting their elderly grandfathers, Pacino (terse and shouty) and De Niro (telling bad jokes and trying to still be with it), in a home for geriatric actors. As they recount stories of their glorious past Chris and Leo learn a lot about life and what it means to be an actor. Chris moves to the country to grow peanuts and Leo resolves to never make the same mistakes as his elders. In the flashback scenes we could use footage of actual films involving Pacino and De Niro, a la Whatever happened to Baby Jane.

To all Hollywood producers out there I'm waiting for your call. Anyone else feel free to leave a message about what you'd like to see De Niro and Pacino doing.

No comments: