Wednesday 25 June 2008

Food and Nutrition - Water


Of course training for a big race isn't all about the running, it's also about eating the right balance of foods.

I will admit I don't know much about nutrition so in this first (of regular posts on the subject) I'd thought I'd kick off with an absolute basis fundamental.


We all need to drink water.



The human body is usually between 45 and 75% water. So in my case it's between 80 and 130 pounds or between 60 and 100 pints. It's estimated that over 60% of this have gone into my body from drinking.

This water is used (among other things) to:
  • Regulate our temperature
  • Transport oxygen and nutrients in our blood
  • Lubricate joints
  • Elimination of waste
  • Act as a major component of sweat and tears


That's pretty amazing, isn' it?

Becasue of the body's regular use of water we should really be drinking 4 pints per day, and that's just for dossing around the office. As I start to train more I'm going to need to increase that.

If I don't it's going to lead to difficulties with digestion, dry skin and dehydration (symptoms of which include headaches, cramps, seizures, fainting and finally delirium before death).

I'm off for a drink now.

No comments: