Tuesday 24 June 2008

Training Phase 1, Day 3

Today it was back to the gym, with a 15 minute jog on the treadmill in the middle of it.

I managed 2.8 km, so that's 11.2 km per hour. Oddly I'm not really sure whether that's OK or not. I know if I do a marathon at that pace then I'll finish inside 4 hours, if I don't collapse after 4 miles, which based on how I was feeling is a distinct possibility.



For the rest of my session I worked on my shoulders and triceps. I must admit sometimes going to the gym and doing weight training makes me feel a little paranoid. It's a good gym - Next Generation, West Midlands - but even there there are some gym freaks. You know the sort - masculine, confident, lifting very heavy weights with very little effort.

Generally I just keep my head down (and gaze longingly at them out of the corner of my eye; it's not my fault I'm a gay man it's what we do). However today I felt like a couple of them were sniggering behind my back at how little I was lifting.

I shall remain confident though - and in 43 1/2 weeks when I'm passing the finishing post who'll be smug then?

Any advice on how to feel better in the gym would be greatly appreciated.

No comments: