Thursday 26 June 2008

Eleanor Parker

Happy birthday to

Eleanor Parker

86 today

When I used to watch The Sound of Music as a kid I adored the Baroness. In a story that shoehorned songs in at every moment she was always able to ignore the impulse to burst out. I liked that a lot. Of course she also did a lot of acting... Whether it was her icy conversation with Maria at the ball, or keeping her dignity as she lets Captain Von Trapp slip away, she was at the top of her game. And this is from an actress who gave superb performances in Caged and Detective Story, although she could be pure ham at times (see The Man with the Golden Arm).


Since I have grown older though her performance as the Baroness has dimished. I blame a close friend who I went to see a sing-a-long showing of The Sound of Music, and who shouted out during the ball: "Look at the Baroness's eyebrows."


They're all over the place - bouncing around her forehead from one shot to another. Go on watch the scene and you'll be surprised at how quickly they move.

No comments: