Sunday 9 May 2010

Personal News (09/05/10)

Things move with fits and bursts in this industry. Not that much has happened really but I am feeling overwhelmingly confident these days.

I have been recalled for a second audition for Larry Kramer's "The Normal Heart", amazingly in the lead role of Ned Weeks. The feedback I have had so far was that my performance was good but they want to test the chemistry of the optional Ned's against the cast Felis (his lover in the play). Chemistry's always a difficult thing to define on stage, and one very hard to produce in an audition, but I will do my best (as I'm sure all the others going for it will to).

Oddly this leads to a minor dilemma. Do I come out to the Producer/Director?

This may seem odd - for a guy's who's blog title specifically refers to his sexuality - but most people are unaware when they meet me, even in the gay bar I work at on Saturday nights most of the punters assume I'm straight. During the first auditions I did drop hints (my ex-partner etc.) but when the Producer told me that he had originally conceived of the project as being completely cast by gay men and lesbians I waffled on about why you wouldn't want to restrict the supply of actors instead of launching into a rendition of "I am What I am". I was even coy when asked if I would be comfortably portraying a same-sex relationship.

If thy are concerned about me being able to deal with this on stage then perhaps I ought to let them know, but on the other hand I don't believe it's relevant and I don't want to appear to be using my sexuality as a way of getting in. Tricky, non?

This of course is good timing for the issue to be relevant. On the Newsweek website this week Ramin Setoodeh launches into gay actors playing straight roles, plainly stating that it's impossible for the audience to suspend their disbelief to that level. Althoughly oddly he says that straight actors can be convincing playing gay. I find this arguement obscene, both as an actor and as a gay man. Part of acting in a romantic role is pretending the person you're playing opposite is attractive to you, regardless of gender age of looks (and I've had to pretend to be in love wih some serious munters on stage and trust me the looks ar harder to get over than the sex). Good actors can convince in whatever role they're playing regardless of what they do offstage, and that is the bottom line of the arguement.

Back to me - tomorrow the Manchester 24/7 festival is holding it's Big Gathering. This is a annual event where the writers and directors of the ten new plays chosen for the festival get to mingle with some actors and start the casting process. I'm never completely au fait with the social aspect of casting, however I will be there and will try desperately not to stick to the corners of the room looking hopelessly nervous. Wish me luck.

4 comments:

Simon said...

I read that article...it's kind of bullshit.

TomS said...

Ned---

That's right, I said Ned....

Tricky to be sure, but I have a good feeling about your audition, however it plays out personally.

I understand your not wishing to use your sexuality to get a role. I respect the way you wish to handle it, and I want to lend a word of encouragement that should the right opportunity arise in discussions of the role and how you would play it authentically, it might be totally cool to make mention of your sexuality.

I haven't read the article and I would tend to agree with you. One need not actually BE the character one plays (or else there would be a lot of killers on movie sets!).

This is a fascinating debate and I would like to chat more about it some time...

All the very best of luck. all the way from Chicago!

Alex Constantin said...

my conclusion is that there need to be more gay roles :P

Runs Like A Gay said...

Simon - you're absolutely right, but it's the sort of thin end of the wedge thing that we must fight against.

Tom - thanks for the support, and you're advice. The recalls on Saturday afternoon, and I have plenty of time to consider how the conversation will go.

Alex - more gay roles are needed. This is something I've ranted about before, but one of the most useful steps films can do to erase homophobia is to show ancilliary characters who are gay without it being an issue. Work colleagues or siblings where their family lives are shown but not discussed would be a perfect fit for breaking down the barriers.