Sunday 2 May 2010

Personal News

Just a quickie to let you know what's been going on on the personal, or acting, front.

Since I moved up here I've been mainly trying to get myself known in the City. Obviously getting an agent has really helped, and she's sent me some details of a number of local casing agents and companies - I will be writing to them during May (I wanted to give it a month after my agent writes) and hopefully I'll be signing up to some castinbg workshops later in the year.

I've also managed to move through a couple of temping jobs and - fingers crossed - will be back on double figures in the next few weeks which will give me the spare cash and the flexibility I need.

There have also been a couple of auditions. Yesterday I auditioned for a unpaid production of Larry Kramer's The Normal Heart, a semi-autobiographical piece about the HIV-AIDS crisis in New York in the early 1980's. It's a great play and I like the concepts I heard from the director. It's also being performed during and as part of the Manchester Pride festival with money being raised towards the Terence Higgins Trust, something which I am proud to support. The audition was neither spectacular nor awful, so hopefully that'll get me something - I'll update you next weekend with the results.

Next Friday I may also have an audition (I'm awaiting final confirmation of the time) for a touring production of Arthur Miller's The Crucible. Its one of my favourite plays - and it's paid - so fingers crossed.

4 comments:

Simon said...

Good luck, then.

Andrew K. said...

Much good luck. I could be wrong, but I heard that Streisand was interested in writing and directing a version of The Normal Heart and The Crucible is just another excellent play from the always brilliant Miller. Good luck, again.

TomS said...

Ben,
All the best in your endeavors! I am sure you will prevail!
(For luck, I think it's customary to say. "Break a leg"!)

The Normal Heart was a terrific play. Larry Kramer is an interesting, maddening personality. He is quite the activist.
I still remember his Academy Award nomination for Screenplay for Ken Russel's "Women in Love"...a great film, I think.

Runs Like A Gay said...

Thanks very much for the good luck.

And I've learnt two new things about the Normal Heart (that Streisand was interested in a film adapt and writer Kramer also wrote Women in Love), brilliant.