Sunday 16 May 2010

Personal News (16/05/2010)

Not a terribly successful week, when all is said and done.

The Normal Heart second round of auditions have been postponed for another week, so I'm still in play but clearly they're not desperate to cast me.

The Crucible audition on Friday was a blow out, they asked me (as well as two other people auditioning at the same time) to read two portions of the script, the first I don't think I did badly in, but it wasn't really about me, but the second was a disaster. Started fine but couldn't get through some lines - stuttering and unable to read them whilst acting - then I was losing my concentration with the whole acting thing and did something a bit silly to bring myself back (it's a silly thing I do that comes across really funny in rehearsals but apparently not in auditions!). Received an [automated] e-mail this afternoon which seems to indicate a no thank you but that could be a red herring as there is still one more day of auditions. We'll see, but I'm not confident.

The Big Gathering for the 24/7 Festival was very interesting and I made some good contacts but there was nothing for me in the festival. Saying that I am looking forward to going to see them and I've signed up for a couple of things as a result. First up is a writing group who have actors come in to sight read work - I'm doing that for the first time tomorrow afternoon - and the other involves helping with the Queer Up North arts event starting next weekend (including some unpaid corporate style work). Hopefully this sort of thing will at least raise my profile.

I also had a couple of commercial auditions this week - the first of which involved sitting at a computer which someone threw balls at me!!! Neither are looking like I've got a job, but that's commercials for you.

I'm not feeling as hopelessly pesimistic as this post first appears, but it's not been a great week. Feel free to cheer me up in the comments.

7 comments:

TomS said...

Ben, the Normal Heart audition still seems to be promising.....at least, you're getting out there and making some contacts.

The fact that you have been so active, and trying, is awesome. I have no doubt that you will be successful.

If all else fails book a flight to Chicago...my mates and I will cheer you up!

Keep writing....

Tom

Runs Like A Gay said...

Hi Tom,

You're absolutely right about getting the contacts and working hard being the key. I shall carry on, after all it's not the first time I've been disappointed in this business.

Thanks also for the invitation. I'd love to be cheered up in Chicago sometime! Maybe once I've started getting some work I'll be able to save up and nip over...

Cheers

Ben

Alex Constantin said...

hey, you! :)

U need a bit of encouragement. Why not a fancy date to make things brighter? :D

but i can understand what ur writing. I've done extra work on both movies and commercials in my student days and went to other short casting shit. I never took it seriously, it was for the daily payment and the on-set experience. (which can feel either interesting or degrading depending on people & mood).

I have this screenplay contest I participate in almost every year, for 4-5 years now. It's big because it's the Transilvania International Film Festival, fancy & schmansy, with previous annual honorees like miss Redgrave, Catherine Deneuve, etc.

And every year I DON'T qualify for the final 3 (which receive a weekend there and final festivity and of course u get to be a nominee even though it's a less important category)...
And in the next 7 days they'll announce the finalists I think, and again I won't be there :) but it's like... a cliche already with me breaking down after not being on the list :)))

I've worked (and got paid well) as a screenplay writer before, and in this diff. financial times the competition in a way to get back in the game....

But we'll see...
I wrote just to reassure that many understand and share similar experiences :)

best of luck!

Alex Constantin said...

oh, look, what do you know... I've just checked and I'm not among the finalists :(

too bad.

but hey, maybe next year :D

Runs Like A Gay said...

I'm sorry, Alex, they'd better go ahead and select you next year, doesn't seem fair.

In many ways Show Business is the most horrible thing, and rejection is a big part of that. It's partly difficult because everything changes every day - what impresses some people today will put them off tomorrow.

In terms of competitions they're not just looking at your work as a one-off piece but they're looking at it in relation to all the finalists, and trying to ensure they have a balanced programme.

I'm sure if you keep plugging at it then real talent will find a way, even if it means producing your own projects.

What sort of stuff do you write? I'd love to read some of your work sometimes...

Cheers

Ben

Alex Constantin said...

thanks for the kind words :)

well, in the beginning i was hired by the biggest Romanian studio and they paid me for trying various projects (cheap stuff artistically, for TV) and I did get some nice savings out of that...

and last year, when the industry went down, I tries to get into the Movie making part, but no one's buying... or trying. And maybe I need to get better, even though all 3 projects I threw around had potential for greatness IN the hands of a good director.

To try to sell a screenplay here, it needs to be Low Budget... and they're not buying the Artsy type anymore (unless you're willing to direct it yourself.)

Maybe you've seen 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days. It's the type of drama I go to; but they don't get approved so much in this economy...
And maybe heard of Death of Mr. Lazarescu (ground opening) and also Police Adj. and 12:08 east of Bucharest...

this are the ones with some success.

I'll try again :D but in the meantime I need a steady job. and try to solve my personal problems.

Alex

Runs Like A Gay said...

Steady jobs are horrible, but we've all got to eat.

Good luck, and keep us informed of any news going forward.