Thursday 17 July 2008

Diahann Carroll


Happy Birthday to

Diahann Carroll

73 today



Diahann made her break in minor roles in Otto Preminger's Afro-Caribbean musicals (Carmen Jones and Porgy and Bess), she went to star in a groundbreaking sitcom about a single mother and then virtually reprised the role in Claudia, which led to an Oscar nominations. She was also engaged to David Frost (whose 1977 interviews of Richard Nixon form the basis of the upcoming Frost/Nixon). In spite of these Diahann for me is Dominique Deveraux from Dynasty; Blake Carrington's illegitimate half-sister. I remember growing up in the 80's pretending to be asleep but watching those dresses, those shady dealing and those ridiculous cliffhangers on my black & white TV in the corner.

How could my parents not have guessed I was gay...

No comments: