Friday 18 July 2008

Out this week (18/07/08)




I'm not terribly excitited by this weeks new releases (on the edge of my seat about next week, though...)

City of Men

Follow up to City of God, from the same team that brought the story to the small screen. Critics say it's entertaining but lacks the emotional wallop of it's predecessor.

Runs like a Gay Excitometer: ●●●○○○○○○○



Donkey Punch

A donkey punch is a karate chop to the neck delivered by at man at the point of their orgasm. Why would anyone submit to that? How can any guy control his arms at that point? How can a film build a 90 minute slasher pic on that premise?

Runs like a Gay Excitometer: ●●●●○○○○○○

Mad Detective

Or Sun Taam. Cop chasing serial killer pic from acclaimed Hong Kong director Johnny To. The synopsis on Empire makes it sound like an 80's TV series, but I don't think the fans will go to see the plot.

Runs like a Gay Excitometer: ●●●○○○○○○○

Meet Dave

I went to see the Adventures of Pluto Nash. I was very lonely. I won't be fooled by Eddie Muphy grinning on a poster again.

Runs like a Gay Excitometer: ●●●○○○○○○○

Puffball

Nicolas Roeg returns after a 12 year absense to bring us this mix of pregnancy, voodoo and sex scenes. Are they real? Does anyone care anymore?

Runs like a Gay Excitometer: ●●○○○○○○○○

Wall-e

Latest adventure from Pixar. I have stated before how much I'm bored by animation. No doubt it's very very good and will win the best animated picture Oscar at the end of the year. I expect the near silent film first hour is spectacular and the message of taking better care of the planet is brought over very well. Still I'll wait until I'm babysitting my newphews and neices in 6 months before I bother to watch. (It's still the top pick of the week.)

Runs like a Gay Excitometer: ●●●●●●○○○○

I was filming last Friday so missed the opportunity to post. For the record my top flick was Mamma Mia with ●●●●●●○○○○

No comments: