Tuesday 18 January 2011

20 for 2011: 11 - Midnight in Paris

Holding steady at number 11 is Woody Allen with this years entry of Midnight in Paris.



I'm like a puppy, I keep returning to my master even though he ignores me and gives me rubbish to eat. Every time Woody makes an appalling film I give him the benefit of the doubt and think the next one will be a return to form. So whilst Whatever Works was one of the biggest disappointments of 2010 and with You will meet a Tall dark Stranger getting warm but not effusive reviews I look to his next film as being the next great one.

Like most of Allen's work the premise is both simple and surprisingly complex. In this case we have a romantic comedy set within a group of tourists in Paris, where one engaged couple will have their eyes opened to new ways of experiencing happiness in a relationship. Allen's had a few open relationships in his moves recently so I wonder if that's where it's going.

As always he's managed to net a great cast including Marion Cotillard (pictured above), Michael Sheen, Rachel McAdams, Owen Wilson, Adrien Brody and Kathy Bates, so all in all I think I'm ready to forgive him once again.

2 comments:

Alex Constantin said...

my kingdom for a good Woody Allen film... it seems AGES since Vicky Christina... that only to prove how bad the last 2 were :)

Runs Like A Gay said...

I'll see Tall Dark Stranger in March, I hear it's OK, but classic Allen alway seems so very far away.