Friday 7 January 2011

2010 in Review: Best Film

I don't feel the need to write too much about why I chose the films that for me define 2010, instead (where possible) I have linked to my review. Each one of these films has been important to my year, and I would recommend catching up with all of them if you haven't done so already.

I don't however pretend to be anything more than a casual film watcher with my own set of biases and as open to media influence as the next man. Indeed it could be argued that I'm just following a trend with my top pick. If you disagree with any of these choices, please feel free to tell me in the comments and if you think I've missed anything particularly special then tell me and I'll look into it.

The Film of the Year:



1. The Social Network Directed by David Fincher. Read my review here.

And the rest:


2. Up in the Air Directed by Jason Reitman. Read my review here.


3. Precious: Basd on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire Directed by Lee Daniels. An extraordinary telling of a bleak novel which in spite of it's Dickensian journey of the protagonists maintains haelthy optimism for her future. No review.


4. Shutter Island Directed by Martin Scorsese. Read my review here.


5. Tetro Directed by Francis Ford Coppola. Read my review here.


6. The Way Back Directed by Peter Weir. Read my review here.


7. Inception Directed by Christopher Nolan. Read my review here.


8. Brothers Directed by Jim Sheridan. Read my review here.


9. The Ghost Directed by Roman Polanski. Read my review here.


10. The Last Station Directed by Michael Hoffman. A delightful period film with solid performances and easily digestible morals. A lot better than it's reputation would have you think. No review.

7 comments:

TomS said...

I loved "Precious." Artful, uncomfortable, heartbreaking, and always compelling.

I have warmed up a bit to "Up In The Air" and agree with its inclusion.

You have mentioned "Tetro" many times in your blog; it played in Chicago for about 2 weeks, and i missed it. Hope to find a copy to watch at home.

"Brothers" was overlooked...thanks for remembering it.

There are two on your list we may never agree on... But you expressed your views well...

Most of the others I have yet to see

Runs Like A Gay said...

I love that we can agree to disagree on a couple of these films. One of the best things about watching movies is when you come blinking out of the dark and you and whoever you're with have completely different reactions to what you've seen.

Alex Constantin said...

Even with me thinking The Social Network is overrated, I still appreciate every single film from your Top 3. Outside of that, there's room for some controversy, but those 3 are films I've definitely enjoyed :)

Precious was my number one for 2009.
Up in the Air was no. 10
and The Social Network might actually make my Top 10 for 2010 (I have a couple above it, but it shapes up like a really weak year, even with me still having to see a lot of stuff).

may I dare to ask: was Toy Story 3 eligible here? I don't remember :)
was A Prophet in play or was that last year?

Runs Like A Gay said...

Alex,

To my enormous discredit I hae seen neither Toy Story 3 or A Prophet both of which came out in 2010.

They are both ones I will try to catch on DVD sometime soon.

Alex Constantin said...

I can't tell if you'd like TS3, but you'd definitely like A prophet. or at least Tahar Rahim :D

Runs Like A Gay said...

I don't know what you mean.

I am going to force myself to see an animation this year - I haven't seen one at a cinema since Monster's Inc., which I hated, and it's probably not good that I'm just ignoring that medium.

Alex Constantin said...

what that a rhetorical question? :)


can't believe you hate Monsters Inc. I loved loved loved it when I saw it almost 2 years ago. :D smiled all the way through it.