Thursday 27 January 2011

20 fr 2011: 4 - Rampart

Setting number 4 in it's targets is rengade cop thriller Rampart.



Over the last couple of weeks I have finally caught up wit 2009's The Messenger from director Oren Moverman and I confess to being utterly captivated by the calm sincerity of the piece. Ben Foster and Woody Harrelson both give superb performances as soldiers tasked with passing on the terrible news of the death of a loved one.

With that in mind I'm glad I'd already put this semi-true story so high on the list of forthcoming releases. The Rampart division was a department of the LAPD set up as a first response to high level drug crime and it's associated violence. Unfortunately it very soon became a nest of corruption. This film follows one of the last renegade cops, played by Harrelson, as he takes care of his family and fights for survival.

Oddly Ben Foster has recently been saying this is unlikely to ht the festival circuit until 2012, which given it's already in post-production seems awfully negative, but we'll keep our fingers crossed for a 2011 release.

3 comments:

TomS said...

Ben..how do I offer my guess for your #1 anticipated film, without throwing off the competition?

Alex Constantin said...

I'm happy u enjoyed the performances in The Messenger :) told u so :P

Ben Foster should've rocked that Best Actor year. remember he was my no 1, above all men of 2009. that was a great year for actors

Runs Like A Gay said...

Tom,

Just put it in the comments here, the first right (which may or may not be Alex) wins.

Alex,

It was superb - I have no idea why it hasn't had a UK distribution, or why Ben Foster missed out on a nod.