Friday 1 January 2010

20 for 2010 - Numbers 17 to 20

It seems hard to believe that I've been blogging so long that I'm returning to a theme I've already covered, that of the films I'm most looking forward to in 2010. In case you don't remember (or more likely weren't reading last year) on 1st January 2009 I counted down the top twenty films I was anticipating.

In retrospect it wasn't a great list. I have, so far, seen 11 of the films and only one of these made the top ten of films I actually saw - admittedly it was the final number 1 - Where the Wild Things Are. Therefore 10 were just not good enough. Of the remainder I'll be seeing The Lovely Bones and Brothers in January, Whatever Works has no sign of a UK release date, My Own Love Song has disappeared and Hachi looks like it's going striaght to video. The rest have been bumped into 2010 schedules and will be listed below as part of the countdown.

You could extrapolate that experience and try to second guess which of the top 20 will move to 2011 or drift off (I already know that one of the list has a UK release date in Jan '11), alternative you could tell me in advance which of these will make the year end top ten. There will actually be a competition later in the rundown with a bag of minstrels as the top prize (It's my cinema snack of choice).

The rules are simple.

1. I use the US release dates and schedules. I know this flies in the face of the way I do my top ten, but it's impossible to estimate how long it will take between releases here and there and it's often easier to find those details in the states. This means that It's Complicated and Precious aren't eligible even though I will see both of them.

2. On IMDB the filming must have started, and it must be recorded as a 2010 film. It's arbitrary I know, but it helps to reduce the likelihood of a film slipping into next years schedule.

3. (New Rule Alert) Films that made the list last year will be shunted to the back of this years list no matter how excited I am about them. I call this the Shutter Island rule because last year Shutter Island was the top film and I am still looking forward to it more than any other film on this list - but it wouldn't be fair to lead 2 years in a row so that, and all the other projects that have been delayed are at the back.

So, with that in mind, here are the films 20 to 17 that I am most looking forward to seeing in 2010.

17. Shutter Island Dir. Martin Scorsese. Starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Ben Kingsley and Michelle Williams.


18. Love Ranch Dir. Taylor Hackford. Starring Helen Mirren, Joe Pesci and Sergio Peris-Mencheta. (No, I couldn't find any decent screen pics apart from the one I used last year)


19. The Tempest Dir. Julie Taymor. Starring Helen Mirren, Russell Brand and Djimon Hounsou (below as Caliban).


20. Biutiful Dir. Alejandro González Iñárritu. Starring Javier Bardem, Rubén Ochandiano and Blanca Portillo.


If you want to know a little more about why I was interested in these films then take a look at the labels below and you'll see last years posts.

Look out for number 16 in the 20 for 2010 countdown tomorrow.

2 comments:

Alex Constantin said...

the contest is still a bit confusing :P but we'll see.

what i can say is that I imagine Biutiful to be an awards hit (about 9 months ago I actually hoped in a 2009 release and a Best Picture win. and actor)

and Love Ranch... there's something strange with the delay of this movie. it's been filmed like over 2 years ago... Come on! It's becoming the new Margaret (that 2005-2006 Anna Paquin movie still to be released). So, I predict Love Ranch going straight to TV, probably HBO, just like Mrs. Harris and Bernard and Doris.

Runs Like A Gay said...

Sorry - unnecessarily complex introduction of the quiz. The proper question will come on 13 January.

Love Ranch as the new Margaret. Love that. Got to wonder if we'll see either of them.