Tuesday 5 January 2010

Diane Keaton


Happy Birthday to

Diane Keaton

64 today


I hope she enjoys her day. Well, now that's out of the way the day before yesterday I included Morning Glory among my top twenty films to look forward to in 2010, starring the aforementioned Ms Keaton. Within 24 hours Alex in Movieland declared "I suspect this one will flop. like every other Diane Keaton movie of the last 6 years...".

I coughed out my coffee and was about to write a strongly worded defence, but before so I thought I'd better check my facts. In the last 6 years Diane has made 5 features.

2005 The Family Stone 43rd highest grossing film in US cinemas that year with $60.1m (further $2.1m in UK) entered at number 3 in the BO charts that week behind King Kong and The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. Not a flop (but hardly a ringing endorsement).

2007 Because I Said So 63rd highest grossing film in US cinemas that year with $42.7m (further $2.0m in the UK) entered at number 2 in BO charts that week. Less successful, but still a reasonable income.

2007-8 Mama's Boy and Smother, which appear to have the same story line, both go straight to DVD. Unless you're in Mexico where they are inexplicable popular.

2008 Mad Money 115th highest grossing film in US cinemas that year with $20.7m (not released in the UK) entered at number 6. Crikey - that's a big flop!

If we take this (admittedly very small) sample we can extrapolate the following trend.

2010 Morning Glory 147th highest grossing film in US cinemas this year with -$0.5m (!) (taking anything up to $1.8m if it opens in the UK) enters the US box office at number 7. Now that would be a flop!!!

5 comments:

Alex Constantin said...

Oh, so you agree with me? :) I didn't check the facts when I made that statement. It was pure memory, not based on numbers.


ps: I've seen the Lovely Bones. terrible. I wrote a bit about it on alex in movieland

Runs Like A Gay said...

Yes,

I bow down to your subconcious knowledge of Diane Keaton.

But surely this will do better than the last couple of films - won't it?

Andrew K. said...

Ah, Alex don't doubt Diane. The Family Stone was oddly charming, though I'll admit the others were not.

by the was RLAG, you beat me to it. I just gave Diane her very own birthday post with my five fave performances of hers.

Alex Constantin said...

Actually, what I did say in that comment was that I have most doubt on Harrison Ford. so he'll get the blame. and that Rachel-whatever I NEVER, NEVER liked.

does it never happen to you to NOT like an actor just because you don't like their face and it inspires nothing.

I'm preparing that statement for my post-Up in the Air reaction, cause I'm sure I'll feel the same about Anna Kendrick.

Runs Like A Gay said...

I've performed with some people whose face inspires nothing, does that count?